What Is Bulletproof Coffee?

Good morning Beauties!

What better topic for a Monday morning than Bulletproof Coffee?

You may have heard about this trend and if you’re like me, you may be a little confused about the purpose and the idea behind it.

bulletproof-coffee

For those of you who don’t know, Bulletproof  Coffee is high quality coffee, blended with organic grass-fed butter and MCT (medium chain triglyceride) oil. Although it sounds odd, it’s actually tastes really good and has been popular in other countries for many years. Hot tea with yak butter is a staple beverage in Tibet, especially for those who live in high altitudes and need more energy to sustain daily life.

While this tradition holds up in many other parts of the globe, the official Bulletproof Coffee enterprise here in the US was created and trademarked by Dave Asprey, a technology entrepreneur who claims to have lost 100 lbs in large part due to his high fat, low carbohydrate lifestyle.

bulletproof-coffee

Blending the coffee, butter and MCT oil (very similar to coconut oil) gives it a smooth latte-like consistency and many people who are used to adding sweeteners to their coffee are surprised but the smooth taste of this coffee without adding extra sugar or sugar alcohols.

The idea behind Bulletproof coffee is this:

Adding healthy fats and medium chain triglycerides to your coffee each morning provides you with a significant brain boost (fat is good for the brain), gives the body a healthy dose of nutrients, keeps hunger at bay and provides lasting energy instead of the temporary spike you get from a regular cup of coffee.

An important thing to understand is that to get the full benefits, Asprey recommends using organic, fair-trade coffee, unsalted grass-fed butter (like Kerrygold) and his personal blend of MCT oil.

To read more about how to enjoy Bulletproof Coffee in the right way visit bulletproofexec.com.

I’m not necessarily a diehard fan or a nay-sayer. I fall somewhere in the middle.

I am a BIG fan of healthy fats. I’m not scared of fat and I don’t think you should be either. I currently eat an adequate amount of fat per day through avocado, nuts, nut butter and coconut oil so I’m personally not in desperate need of upping my fat content. But for many people, this could be a great way to increase the amount of healthy fat in your daily diet.

I do enjoy the taste of Bulletproof Coffee so I make a cup every now and then but haven’t made it a part of my regular routine at this point. One main reason for that is that it’s truly meant to be a breakfast replacement option and I love me some breakfast. I’m usually not willing to give that up. 🙂

Of course, I’m not a registered dietician, I’m more brining this up for conversation and informational purposes.

I’m curious, are you a Bulletproof Coffee fan? If this is news to you do you think you’ll try it?

PS – I really admire Dr. Weil’s nutritional recommendations. You can read his take here.

PPS – We just kicked off Week #2 in The Balanced Life online run club! You can still join us. It’s super fun way to get motivated to walk/run/jog more before the holidays roll around. 🙂

1. Jodie 5 years ago

Not afraid of fats but not into bullet proof coffee. I too love breakfast.

What is your favorite breakfast during the week? I am always looking for ideas.

I am a huge fan of Dr Weil.

My weekly breakfasts usually are a rotation of eggs, homemade turkey breakfasts sausage and smoothies. 🙂

2. LaurenC_ 5 years ago

Hmmm… I don’t know. I would try it, if I were somewhere that it was available or already made, but I also really love breakfast. I echo Jodie’s comment – I’m always looking for new breakfast options and would be interested in hearing your ideas. Dr. Weil seems to use a lot of common sense in making his recommendations and I really connect with that. Have a great day!

3. Lisa M 5 years ago

Thank you, Robin. I hadn’t heard about this before seeing on your blog. I would be willing to order it from a location serving it, but I wouldn’t buy all the parts just to try it. I’m more of a tea drinker these days. I get my dose of healthy fats in the morning by adding avacado or coconut oil to my morning smoothies. Great topic! My hubby is a huge coffee fan. I’m going to ask him if he has heard of it and if he is willing to try it.

That makes sense. I like adding coconut oil to my smoothies as well. 🙂

4. Janilyn 5 years ago

I like bulletproof coffee. I find if I add too much coconut oil it makes me nauseous so I have to be careful. I blend it with my immersion blender to make sure it stays emulsified and not coffee with a big oil slick on top. I prefer my coffee with full fat coconut milk and a little honey and pure vanilla on an everyday basis. I premix one can of organic coconut milk with 1/4 cup of honey and 2 tablespoons of vanilla in a jar. I keep in the fridge so I just have to shake and pour in my coffee. The full fat coconut milk has enough fat to help me stay satisfied along with a Larabar. It’s easy and fast while I’m doing all the school drop offs before my workout. I usually eat a bigger lunch after I workout (Pilates 3 days a week and Zumba 2 days a week)

Yes I agree – too much coconut oil can be a little hard on the system. And I LOVE your idea for sweetener! 🙂

5. Miray 5 years ago

I LOVE bulletproof coffee! Just had some this morning actually! And I love all the fat I can get! Butter, nuts, avocados, nut butters….bring it on!!

6. Michael 5 years ago

I’m definitely into Bulletproof coffee as well. “I’m not afraid of fat” — you’re just a cool person. But on the other hand, did you know that adding butter to coffee can help you lose weight? I’ve also read that somewhere, just sharing. 🙂

7. Neal Bishop 3 years ago

I love Bulletproof Coffee first thing in the morning! Really gives me that much needed energy and caffeine boost. Thanks for the article Robin

8. Alex 2 years ago

I have tried this before and it’s amazing! I do agree that it’s a lot of coconut but as I am a fan of coconut so it’s perfect for me.