How To Become a Pilates Instructor

pilates-reformer

If there is one question I receive more than any other question it’s this:

‘How do I become a Pilates instructor?’

So today I’m going to lay out the process to becoming an instructor for those of you who may be interested.

Pilates is one of the top fitness trends in the world and has steadily grown in popularity over the past 50+ years. Due to its effectiveness and staying power, I wouldn’t call it a trend. Pilates is here to stay. Which is good news for those of us who have chosen this career path and those who are looking to dive in.

Becoming a Pilates instructor takes time, commitment and money. There is no doubt about that. I think many people make the mistake of lumping it together with general ‘group fitness.’ Group fitness instructors can be certified in one weekend, for a reputable Pilates certification that’s not the case.

Pilates Roll Down

6 Steps To Becoming A Pilates Instructor:

1. Take class

Immerse yourself in classes to learn the exercises, learn about your own body and observe other teachers. Take as many as you can and practice consistently. Take from a variety of teachers so that you can determine which style you are drawn to and what kind of path you want to follow. Ask lots of questions and inquire about your favorite teachers’ training and certification.

2. Ask yourself the following questions:

• Do I enjoy teaching? (you won’t be doing Pilates yourself, you will be teaching others)
  • Do I have an interest in body mechanics, anatomy and exercise science?
  • Do I enjoy speaking in front of large groups? (you will essentially be on stage!)
  • Am I self-motivated?
  • Am I okay trading job stability for job flexibility? (you will find your own healthcare, benefits, etc.)

These are just a few questions to consider. There are many more that I may dive into in a separate post.

how to reduce stress

3. Decide if you want a mat or comprehensive certification

A mat certification prepares you to teach group mat classes, which is what you will find in most gyms. A comprehensive certification prepares you to teach and train clients using the traditional Pilates equipment (reformer, chair, trap table/cadillac, etc.) in addition to mat. If you are hoping to teach ‘full-time’ or train private clients a comprehensive certification is the way to go. It is very, very hard to make a living on mat certification alone.

photo.PNG

4. Research and select a Pilates certification program

There are a lot of good programs out there so I encourage you to ask your favorite teachers about their path and recommendations. Β You will want to determine if you are drawn to the classical or contemporary style of teaching.

A mat certification may cost $100 – $300. For a comprehensive Pilates certification you can expect to pay at least $3,000, Β quite possibly more.

In home Pilates training

A reputable certification program should include:

• 500+ hours of training, practice and student teaching (for comprehensive certification)
  • recognition from the Pilates Method Alliance
  • modules that take place over a period of months (not just a weekend or two)

A few that I highly recommend:

There are many others but these are some of the most widely recognized programs that can be found across the country.

5. Complete your certification process

Ideally you’d also find someone to mentor you work through your certification and begin student teaching.

I went through my certification process while working full-time as a project coordinator in a commercial real estate firm. It was busy, but it can be done. πŸ™‚

how-to-become-a-pilates-instructor

6. Secure liability insurance

Most studios will require that you have your own liability insurance. You can find these online through the PMA,Β Idea Fit, Lockton Affinity Insurance, or many other outlets.

At this point you are able to pursue teaching opportunities and begin working with clients!

pilates-class

7. PMA certification + continuing education

The Pilates Method Alliance is the governing body for the Pilates industry. Since this is an unregulated industry it’s not required that you acquire certification through the PMA but it is highly recommended. Once you’ve had an opportunity to dive into your teaching career and gain some hands-on experience, it’s a good time to start studying and preparing for the PMA exam. You can find out more here.

As time goes by you should also keep up with continuing education courses.

pilates-instructor

The truth is, you should never stop learning and growing as a Pilates instructor. When your certification program concludes, it’s really just the beginning of your education.

I am constantly seeking to learn more about the body, healthy movement, and Pilates on a daily basis. There is so much more to know!

I hope this post helps guide those of you who are looking to pursue a career in Pilates.

Do you have questions that I didn’t answer? Post them in the comments. πŸ™‚

Pilates instructors – did I miss anything?

1. Pat G. 4 years ago

Robin,
    Thank you for this post! I’d given a lot of thought to getting into personal training myself. I enjoy it and I enjoy helping others with it too. You’ve provided a lot of great insight and information here.
    Thank you very much!

2. Emily Sharpe 4 years ago

Enjoyed reading this post! Getting excited, and nervous, for my comprehensive Balanced Body test out at the end of May! I most definitely enjoy teaching and more importantly helping others move and feel good in their bodies:)
    Thanks!

3. […] been digging through the pilates certifications listed hereΒ and the only negative I’ve found is that they are PRICEY. I suppose its for good reason and […]

4. Rachel 3 years ago

Great post Robin! I’m surprised that you don’t list The Pilates Center (Boulder, CO) on your list. They teach classical Pilates just like Romana. Like you said, there are many programs but I thought this one was worth mentioning. Love your blog!

Ooh Rachel, great catch! I would DEFINITELY recommend The Pilates Center. When drafting this post I was thinking of certifications that are available internationally. But if you’re able to be in CO that would be a great resource. Thanks! πŸ™‚

5. Debora 3 years ago

I have MS. And I have been doing pilates for the past year and a half it has helped so much. My goal is to become an instructor and help others. Thank you Robin.

6. Victoria 2 years ago

For Europeans The Pilates Standard (classical) is a great Education option. ..loved your article thank You

7. Meah 2 years ago

Hi Robin,
    Just wondering when you did your training did you start with the mat course and work your way up or did you go straight to the apparatus program with BASI? I’m looking into some course options and not sure where to start.
    Thanks,
    Meah

Hi Meah,
      My training was mat and apparatus combined. It started with mat training and then progressed to apparatus. πŸ™‚

8. Meah 2 years ago

Thanks! I have been looking into a course with Studio Pilates. Have you heard of them? I’m pretty nervous to choose the wrong course as I want the best training. In your experience; when applying for jobs, does your training impact your chances of getting hired? And are you more likely to get hired if you went to a particular college?

Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it πŸ™‚

Meah

9. Snezana 2 years ago

Hello,
    Loved your break down.I found it to be short but precise and very informative.I live in Alaska and as there are yoga teacher available I am not able to find a PILATES program. Are there any online options you could recommend? We have only two studios in Anchorage and I am not sure if there are any other ones in rest of Alaska. Yoga is first choice and popular here but Pilates is not. Just starting to bloom,they also seem to be more expensive than Yoga due to the equipment used. Anyway if you could point me to the right directions to at least start my Mat classes I would sure appreciate it ! Thanks

Hi Snezana, I wouldn’t ever recommend an online program because to learn how to teach Pilates you need to work with other bodies. That’s how you learn to teach. πŸ™‚ I would recommend traveling to a place that offers certification courses. When I took mine we had women flying in from all over to attain their certification. I’m sorry, I wish it was easier where you lived! And you are right, Pilates certifications tend to be more expensive because they are more involved. xoxo

• Sophie 4 months ago

Hi Robin! I totally understand why you wouldn’t recommend an online course, it sure is not my first option. But since I live in Curacao and there are NO possibilities to become a certified pilates teacher, I was wondering if there are any online courses that are kind of ‘acceptable’. Just for me to get a start and see if I can do a real course whenever I feel I’m ready? That would be great! Loved to read your story! Thanks πŸ™‚

10. Ronit Reggev 2 years ago

I would like to learn being a Pilates teacher
    Please call me to 954-7564468
    Ronitreggev @gmail.com

11. Heloisa 2 years ago

Hi, does pilates have a college to go , or is certificates that I can take in studios? I would like to be a pilates instructor and I need to know the steps. I live in Florida, North Lauderdale. Please do you have idea where I can go to start? Thanks. Heloisa

• Annie 9 months ago

Classical Pilates Education with Vault Fitness. Great FLL & Boca studios, great people. They offer mat and comprehensive training.

12. Lani 2 years ago

Would you recommend still doing the Mat certification to start or is that a requirement or unnecessary?

Most schools require mat before moving on to apparatus. And I would definitely recommend it. πŸ™‚

13. Nana 2 years ago

Hello,
    my friend has a international pilates instructor certification from Korea. Do you think it works for being a pilates instructor in Canada? Thank you.

14. gary 2 years ago

Hi Robin, thanks so much for your information which really helps me a lot to understand what the PMA and pilates teacher is all about.

I am a personal trainer, and i wanna be a PMA teacher. i found there are a lot of 450 hours or 500 hours of training program in some studio with different price, but i am not sure which one is the best. Is there any tricky thing?

and also is there any text book to study for the writing test?

Thanks so much.
    gary

Hi Gary,
      I recommend all of the training programs mentioned in my post. When you sign up for a certification program they will provide you with all of the materials and resources you need to study. Being certified by the PMA would come AFTER being certified by one of the schools listed above. Hope that helps!

15. Felipe 2 years ago

Hi Robin. Good morning!
    Very good post.
    I have one question. My wife and I are moving to Melbourne. We are from Brazil and she is Pilates Instructor,around 7 years experience on Matt and comprehensive Pilates with overseas certification (Canada ). Besides, familiarization with English terms, what else is required for overseas professional?
    thank you and have a nice day!

Felipe lindesay

16. Felipe 2 years ago

Hi Robin!
    Are you on USA right? we are moving to Melbourne Australia. rs

Sorry by any confusion!

cheers

FElipe

17. Minyoung Lee 2 years ago

Thanks for information you wrote down.
    I live in South Korea, and now try to find the right course for me.
    I’d like to ask what the main difference is between ‘Body Arts and Science International’ and ‘Balanced Body University’.

Thank you again!

18. Isa 2 years ago

Hi Robin! How often do you get to practice when you are also teaching? Do teachers get to practice for free at the studios they’re teaching at? I hope to hear from you! Thanks

19. Caroline 2 years ago

Hi Robin
    Thank you very much for your post! Very helpful. Robin, I am a newly qualified Pilates Instructor. Working at a studio and teaching about 12 hours a week. I am absolutely loving teaching and cannot wait to teach more hours p/week. I have been teaching for about 2.5 months now. Unfortuntely, the owner and senior instructor lives abroad so pretty much on my own when it comes to mentoring and guidance. I have been practising Pilates for about 8 months now. Robin, regarding personal and physical development and Inspiration as a Pilates Instructor what would you advise I do? How can I become better in terms of my own practice? I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Hi Caroline!
      This is a great question. If possible, I’d find a studio to work in a few days per week that has the potential for you to work with and learn from colleagues. If that’s not an option you can attend conferences like PMA Conference and Pilates On Tour. I’d also look into what kinds of continuing education is offered through the certification you went through. For example, BASI provides a lot of opportunities to learn more, take workshops and work with mentors.

20. Erika 2 years ago

I am about to change my career and your posting is very helpful to plan my career path! Everything you said in the posting is actually what I’ve researched. I feel like I am on a right track! Thanks:)

21. Alka Kapur 2 years ago

Hi Robin,
    Once you have become a instructor is it a big investment to open your studio or better off working for someone.Thanks.

Hi Alka,
      Opening your own studio is definitely a big investment. And you’d have to ask yourself do you want to only teach Pilates or do you want to run an business too? Running a studio is very business – oriented. Either way I’d recommend getting some years under your belt as an instructor to decide which direct suits you best. πŸ™‚

22. Taryn Young 2 years ago

As a certified Pilates instructor – what is the scope of practice? are you considered a personal trainer, physical therapist or clinician of any kind? If not, what would the next steps be?

Taryn

Hi Taryn, Once you are certified your scope of practice is within teaching Pilates. You would need further education and certifications to be a personal trainer or physical therapist.

23. rachel 2 years ago

Hi Robin,

I live in NYC, is there a certain Pilates school you would recommend here? I am from Canada and will be living there in the future. Do you know if the certification is different in Canada? Thanks so much for your help πŸ™‚

Rachel

24. Claire 2 years ago

Hello Robin, I am on track to start a comprehensive Pilates course here in Sydney Australia in a couple of months (through the APMA). I have done Pilates for over 5yrs, both mat and apparatus, which included practicing during my two pregnancies so I am lucky to be familiar with both prenatal and postnatal Pilates in addition to the usual. I am far from being skilled as my current teachers are but am fit and ready to learn to be an expert.
    I am halfway through the required prerequisite anatomy and physiology short course and while I am very interested in learning about the body, I have always been an English/literature kind of girl over a maths/scientific learner. I must use the other side of my brain more : )
    I just want to know how much of the certification is based on knowing all these details of the muscular and skeletal system and knowing in complete detail? I love Pilates and how it has changed my body and my life, but I am trying to fight my personal fear of the unknown to tell myself I can do this, as I have been warned it is very complex and hard. I guess I am worried I am not smart enough to do the theory side of things.

Hi Claire – if you study and work hard you’ll be fine! There is definitely a big component related to anatomy, but I don’t think it will be a problem for you. You will find that you’ll ALWAYS be learning more, even once you’re certified. The body is so complex that there is always more to learn and understand. I think you’ll be just fine. Best of luck in your career!

25. Cheryl 1 year ago

Hi Robin,

I am a women in my 60’s and have been doing Pilate classes for the last 18 years. I’m really giving some thought to becoming an instructor myself and wanted to know, what you think about someone older getting started in this business?

• Robin Long 1 year ago

Hi Cheryl! I think it’s fantastic! There is no reason to hesitate in my opinion. I have worked with a lot of older instructors and there were a handful of older women in my certification program as well. I say go for it! πŸ™‚

26. Katherine 1 year ago

Hi Robin,
    I have been a mat-pilate instructors for 5 years, now i want to have a comprehensive certificate in order to take PMA test. How long does it take to complete those trainings? I live in Asia, where i could find a school to apply? Thank you so much

• Robin Long 1 year ago

Hi Katherine!
      I did mat and equipment in about a year. And that was moving pretty quickly. I bet you could expand your certification within a year if you are dedicated. πŸ™‚ I would definitely check out BASI Pilates – they do certifications in Asia!

27. Kimberly 1 year ago

I have never taught fitness classes (have only been a hiking guide, no cert required) and I want to become a reformer instructor. I’ve been doing research and it seems that a prereq to a lot of the courses is teaching experience, but how can I get teaching experience before taking cert courses? Am I just misunderstanding this information?
    Kimberly

• Robin Long 1 year ago

Hi Kimberly!
      I didn’t have any teaching experience prior to getting my certification. I think sometimes people student teach before getting certified but I didn’t. I don’t think that will stand in your way! πŸ™‚

28. Daniela Bautista 1 year ago

hi Robin , Im currently researching Pilates schools . Im having a hard time deciding and learning what exactly to look for in schools .

Some offer anatomy courses before the Mat training and some go strait to the mat training . This one school i looked at seems highly qualified it even has a PMA prep course after your done the training but the cost for the mat training is only 800 and also the courses seem basic and not thorough . I live in Victoria , Canada , and theres a lack in schools .

Theres also the Stott Pilates but it only offers an intensive mat course and the prerequisite says i need to have been in the physical training business for at least three years. So either i move to vancouver or yeah ..not sure what you would suggest??

thankyou , Daniela!

• Robin Long 1 year ago

Hi Daniela! I think the best way to gather the information you are looking for is to call and ask these specific questions. I think they will be able to provide you with the information you are looking for. You may also want to see if you can take a class or two from teacher who are certified from each place so you can get a feel for the style/training. As long as they are PMA-approved then it depends more on your style, preference and location. πŸ™‚ Best of luck!

29. Daniela Bautista 1 year ago

also the first school i was talking about was Feel good yoga and Pilates in Victoria , would you be so kind to check it for me , and what makes a school credited ..thank you , hopefully you have a moment and Im not bothering ! thanks

30. Daniela Bautista 1 year ago

so as i keep blabbing away …i forgot to mention i am willing to move to Vancouver , Canada any schools you could reccomend there would be greatly appreciated!

31. Carlina Cruz 1 year ago

Hello! I am 19 years old and am getting certified. How long until I can be employed by a studio? I feel like my age is against me because people want to hire an older, more experienced person to teach at their studio.
    Thanks!

• Robin Long 1 year ago

Hi Carlina! Great question. I love that you are motivated and ready! I think if you present yourself as professional, mature and educated then you will be able to find a teaching opportunity. You could also approach studios about being and assistant or apprentice to gain more experience and get your foot in the door. Even starting at the front desk could help you pick up classes and clients. πŸ™‚

32. Caroline A. 1 year ago

Hi Robin, thank you for the helpful artical! I have a question after reading through. How long you do you think someone should be practicing Pilates before undergo the training courses? How experienced should someone be?
    Thanks in advance! Caroline

• Robin Long 1 year ago

Hi Caroline! This is a tricky one to answer, but I think most certification programs recommend that you be practicing regularly for at least a year prior to getting certified. But there is no hard and fast rule on this one. πŸ™‚

33. Zu 1 year ago

Hi Robin!

I am thinking about changing my career and becoming certified in Pilates.
    What do you think of the Equinox Pilates training program?

• Robin Long 1 year ago

Hi Zu! I haven’t done much research on it but it seems to be a quality, comprehensive program. I would ask them what their options are for ongoing education and if they prepare teachers to teach anywhere or primarily at Equinox. πŸ™‚

34. Kat 1 year ago

Is there a salary difference between schools? For example, do classical pilates instructors charge higher rates than more contemporary?

• Robin Long 1 year ago

Hi Kat – As long as you choose one of the PMA-approved certification programs the pay would not be different. That is all dependent on where you live, where you teach, your experience, etc. πŸ™‚

35. Kat 1 year ago

Robin,
    Thank you. Another question. How academically rigorous is certification? I worry about it. I’m far from a science type. Had to retake anatomy twice in my school days. I’m also not very good at school in general. I’m smart in the common sense and experiences way and not in an academic way. That’s something that’s been holding me back. Are the tests (written ones) something that many don’t pass?

36. mariana 1 year ago

I came across your blog and found it to be very informative thank you :). The thing is.. I live in Canada and I wish to know if you happen to know/recommend a place here in Canada to get this certification.
    cheers and thank you πŸ™‚

37. Chad 1 year ago

I used to be able to find good advvice from your content.

38. […] How To Become a Pilates Instructor – The Balanced Life – If there is one question I receive more than any other question it’s this: β€˜How do I become a Pilates instructor?’ So today I’m going to lay out the process … […]

39. Katherine 1 year ago

Hi Robin,

This blog was very helpful! I live in orange County and I was contemplating going to a junior college that had a pilates program that’s been there for 20 years! The college is OCC, not sure if you are familiar with orange County area! I’m having a hard time as to whether that’s a good decision. I have researched a lot studios and looked at the staff, most people have BASI or balanced body certifications! The jc says they prepare students to get a pma certification if they choose! I want to make the right decision as it will take a year to become certified! Any thoughts on going to OCC instead of another program?

• Author
      Robin Long 1 year ago

I don’t know anything about OCC but that sounds like a good program! The fact that their instructors are certified through reputable companies. and the comply with PMA is a good thing. πŸ™‚

40. Pari sagar 1 year ago

Hi Robin…you are a life saver…I was thinking to directly hop into the certification because I am so glad to find this treasure but my thoughts were scattered about how to find right way on becoming a Pilates instructor.
    So did you meant that I should take Pilates class for myself first and ask my teacher how to perform my own career as instructor? I stay in Bangkok and several studios offer Pilates courses along with exams but I am confused which one would be best.
    Please please reply me.

41. […] How To Become a Pilates Instructor – The Balanced Life – If there is one question I receive more than any other question it’s this: β€˜How do I become a Pilates instructor?’ So today I’m going to lay out the process … […]

42. […] How To Become a Pilates Instructor – The Balanced Life – If there is one question I receive more than any other question it’s this: β€˜How do I become a Pilates instructor?’ So today I’m going to lay out the process … […]

43. […] How To Become a Pilates Instructor – The Balanced Life – If there is one question I receive more than any other question it’s this: β€˜How do I become a Pilates instructor?’ So today I’m going to lay out the process … […]

44. Anna 12 months ago

Hi Robin.I from israel and want to became pilaties treaner. For PMA certificate do I need to study in any studio in israel and after to make a test. or only in specific studio that give me certificate that I can do this kind of test for PMA certigicate ?Thank you.

45. Kayla 11 months ago

Hi. I was just wondering if Studio Pilates was a good company to become qualified through for pilates?

46. Erika 11 months ago

Thank you for this article, Robin!
    People often ask me how they can do some “smart shopping” when it comes to certifications, since there seem to be so many out there these days, and I will definitely be referring them to this article!
    I am about to start my teacher training with the Lolita’s Legacy program (Lolita San Miguel is one of the few surviving Elders of Joseph Pilates) and I’m so proud to be associated with such a unique opportunity to study under a classical master!

47. […] How To Become a Pilates Instructor – The Balanced Life – Thanks! I have been looking into a course with Studio Pilates. Have you heard of them? I’m pretty nervous to choose the wrong course as I want the best training. […]

48. Sydmarie 10 months ago

Hi, I was just wondering do you have to become a certified mat instructor before you can become a comprehensive instructor? If not would you recommend doing so? And also if you don’t have to, what prerequisites must you have in order to go to comprehensive Pilates school? Thanks!

49. Fardiyah 10 months ago

Hello Robin,
    As a single mum and full time employee IΒ΄m finding it so hard to allow time (and money) to pursue this education although I absolutely would love to. While I understand, why online courses are not recommended, and you mention that the Pilates certification is not something one can do in a short time, I wonder if there are not some ways, to at least advance some of the skill set and prepare, with some online courses in the theory aspect. And after completing this in my own time, I could take a short “holiday” off work, get help with my daughter, and then participate in a more intense course to complete the practical work. I know of many Yoga retreats that offer these sort of arrangements, but havenΒ΄t yet come across anything similar for Pilates. Have you got any suggestions?

50. Alina Cerys 9 months ago

Hi Robin,

There is a new franchised Pilates gym popping up called Club Pilates and they offer a 500 hour teacher training program. They have locations in my area and it seems reputable but I am afraid to go with this program because it is so new and not yet recognized by the PMA, or perhaps it is a joke and no other studio would hire someone with this certification. Do you know anything about this corporate program? Is it frowned upon in the Pilates community?

• Laura Bridges-Pereira 5 months ago

I am wondering the same thing. It has become so popular and I really love my classes there.

51. Lorena 9 months ago

Hola!

Thanks for this post, it has helped my very much in deciding to do a Pilates Teacher Training. The gave a few pointers and a brief description helped me understand what to look for in a program and why. I will be taiking a program by the end of this year, 2017. Thanks to this post! πŸ™‚
    Best,
    -L

52. Stephanie 9 months ago

Hi Robin! I was wondering if you do any mentoring? I live in the Bay Area and am just starting to pursue a career as a Pilates instructor! Thank you so much for all your help on here!

• Sarah Stoll 9 months ago

Hi Stephanie! We are so excited about the journey you are taking as a Pilates instructor. I can add you to Robin’s VIP waitlist, however, she is not accepting additional clients at this time. If you would like to be added to this list, please email us at hello@thebalancedlifeonline.com πŸ™‚

53. Amanda 9 months ago

Thank you for all the information. It was very helpful!

54. Amanda 9 months ago

I took anatomy & physiology I & II for my Bachelors degree in Health Ed, do you know if any of the programs will accept transcripts?
    Thank you!

55. Annie 9 months ago

I’ve been doing classical Pilates six days a week for about a year and I’m obsessed/addicted. There are many advanced level positions I still cannot do. Should I not consider teacher training? How long should one be doing Pilates before they become a teacher?

56. Lynn 8 months ago

Hi I loved your 21 day pilates series. I do pilates 3 days a week at a studio and I love it. I was thinking about becoming an instructor but I live in Spain and it’s confusing finding a training here. I know you can get Yoga certified in 3-4 weeks or 6 months but how long is Pilates Mat certifications? The places I have looked up are not very clear. TIA

• Sarah Stoll 8 months ago

Hi Lynn! A mat certification can take a few months, while a comprehensive certification will take 12+ months. Most programs offer flexibility so that you can make it work with your schedule and goals. Your program will require tests and an opportunity to “test out” at the conclusion which will most likely include a written test plus a hands-on practical teaching assessment. Good Luck!

57. Celine 8 months ago

Hi Robin,

Many thanks for all tips and details for guiding people who wants to be a Pilates instructor which is my case. I am practicing Pilates for almost 9 years (7 only on mat and 2 years on machines). I live in Tokyo, member of BASI Pilates Studio, practicing 3 times a week, but I struggle with having Pilates certification in English.
    Indeed, I am in touch with Peak, Polestar and BASI Pilates and all the certifications they propose are in Japanese while I can’t follow the training in Japanese.
    Then, I am looking for an English spoken Pilates certification program (mat and comprehensive) here in Tokyo. Would you mind to help me to find an English spoken mat and comprehensive certification in Tokyo from september 2017?
    Many thanks

• Sarah Stoll 8 months ago

Hi Celine!

Congratulations on pursuing your Pilates certification! Unfortunately, we don’t have any specific recommendations for a certification in Tokyo, but we wish you all the best!

58. ECA 7 months ago

Hi,

Can you recommend where I can take a course in Hawaii? I have been so inspired about what Pilates has been able to help me with as far as body strength and flexibility as well as self-confidence.

• Sarah Stoll 7 months ago

We are so glad to hear about your success with Pilates! Unfortunately, we don’t know of a specific course in Hawaii, but Robin has some wonderful workouts on YouTube – you might enjoy the 30 Day Pilates Body Challenge! You can also join our wait-list to be among the first to find out when we re-open our Sisterhood enrollment! xo

59. Anonymous 6 months ago

I am currently training and working towards my certification through a local facility. How do I find out this this organization actually has the ability to provide a legitimate certificate or if it is simply a certificate to teach here? Is there a website that lists these accredited organizations?

• Sarah Stoll 6 months ago

Thank you for your question! It would be useful to check with your instructors, or program managers, for clarification and with your state for their specific requirements!

60. Nely 6 months ago

Hi,
    I have been practicing pirates for the last 7 years, and lately I start thinking about teaching it.
    I came from Europe and I don’t know the local market – will i find a job as an instructor, if I’m “old”? (37).
    My English is far from being perfect. Will it make the study too hard for me? Are there lot of writing exams?

• Sarah Stoll 6 months ago

Hi Nely! How exciting that you are interested in pursuing becoming a Pilates Instructor! You will need to go through the certification process, but it may be best to check with local professionals in your area to find out about the difficulty and job prospects. Good luck to you!

61. Gail Conavay 6 months ago

Hi, I have been taking Pilates for 2 years off and on. But because i move a lot, i have not had a consistent trainer. So i would like to take a class to become a teacher on the mat. There are non in the area i am for 6 months of the year and i think even if i only have a few students it is useful. But i am just turning 70 years old. I taught children years ago and feel, if i know how to do something, i know i can teach it.
    What do you think.

• Sarah Stoll 6 months ago

Hi Gail!
      If you feel ready to be certified and teach, we wish you all the best! Pilates is a wonderful skill to know and teach! xo

62. KristinZ 5 months ago

I’m researching certification programs/teacher training as well as the PMA certification. I’m curious what your thoughts are on the Club Pilates style teacher training. PMA does state that their teachers are eligible to sit for the PMA exam (I checked with PMA). I’m debating currently between BASI, Balanced Body, and Club Pilates teacher training. Thank you.

63. Kate 3 months ago

Dear Robin

Thank you very much for posting.

I turn 40 next month, and after 14 years of service to teaching art in high schools, I would like a career change. I would like to teach continue to teach, because I feel at my best when I am of service to others through my teaching.

I have used to practice pilates for many years and became intermediate/advanced. I was very strong during this time. I stopped due to illness, and only began again this year. It is taking some time for me to regain the strength and mobility that was compromised in not doing pilates for several years.

Is my aspiration a realistic one? Can I regain this, to the extent that I can be a good pilates instructor?

Kate

64. SELIN 2 months ago

Hi Robin,

Thank you for this post which is the most explanatory one that I read till now…
    I am a comprehensive pilates instructor here in my country (TURKEY) for two 2 years of experience. But now there is a possibility for my family to move US. So I need to get certified by an international orgnaizations. As we have Balanced Body partner in Turkey I will check my status with them.
    My question is how can I run my own home studio in US? Do I need any documents (except certificates about my training)? I mean what about taxes? Governmental issues? As you said this is an unregulated industry I just wanted to ask how these things happen?

• Sarah Stoll 2 months ago

Hello! Thank you for your questions! Our best recommendation is for you to get in touch with your state whenever you move to the US – laws, certificates, taxes, etc. will all vary depending on the state, and even city you live in! All the best to you!

65. Marlee 3 weeks ago

Hi Robin!

After discovering Pilates and starting to do it did you then decide to become an instructor and start the certification process?

66. Cheryl Maceda 2 weeks ago

Hi Robin!
    Im searching for Pilates school here in Toronto Canada.All the information that i read in this site give me an oppurtunity to pursue my dream to become an instructor someday.Thank you for all the information!I I just want to pursue a dream for my children and for my self.Thank you!