Will Pilates help me lose weight?

I receive a lot of questions about Pilates and weight loss.

It’s a hot topic and one that I love talking about.

In attempt to answer more of your questions I’ll be test-driving a new series called Q&A Wednesdays. Every few Wednesdays I’ll film a quick video answering the questions I receive from you via email or in the comments. Since many of you have similar questions I think this will help us all. 🙂

photo-3

Here’s today’s question:

Before I had my two girls I used to run a lot. I did several half marathons and a marathon in 2009. I can’t say that I actually love love love running but it is nice just to put on my shoes anywhere I am and just go outside and get a good workout in. However, these days I just don’t want to run. Every once a while I’ll be able to do two or 3 miles but I just don’t want to do it as much as I used
to.

My body is not where I would like it to be. I know I need to be doing my cardio but as a mom of two girls, a husband and a full-time job my schedule is pretty demanding.

I find Pilates and yoga to be so much more enjoyable. Do you think Pilates could be effective enough cardio for me? I know you run but I also know you do Pilates every day. You look amazing!

I don’t want to be crazy about my workouts right now because I don’t have the time. But I also know myself and if I don’t enjoy it I won’t do it.

Will Pilates help me lose weight?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and I hope to hear back from you.

Thank you so much!

Erin

Here is my response to Erin’s question…the answer may surprise you!

Have a follow up question or a question you’d like me to answer in my next video? Post it in the comments!

PS – you may also enjoy Cardio + Pilates Circuit, Pilates for Runners and Pilates & Running

1. Colleen blackall 5 years ago

I love the video blog format and this question has been on my mind,. I agree that having started pilates via your blog it has translated into a lifestyle change . I often felt bad about running be because I am slow and felt like I looked clumsy. I actually cried during my last half marathon so I needed a break form running. Thank you so much for this format and your inspiring blog.
    Colleen

2. Kelly Weymouth 5 years ago

Robin your hair looks GREAT! OT question: what water bottle is that… I like it!

Haha, Kelly! I kept getting distracted by how messy it was! 🙂 LOVE my glass water bottle it’s from Target! The brand is Ello.

3. Rebecca B. 5 years ago

This was great. I love how real you are and the light in your eyes! 😉
    My husband got me that water bottle for Christmas. It’s a good one!
    Love this video stuff. Keep up the great work!

4. Isabella 5 years ago

Hi Robin! Love your workouts, I did the 28 days of Pilates and loved it 🙂 my question is, how long of a Pilates workout do you do /do you recommend in order to loose weight? Even though the videos on your YouTube channel are 5-10 minutes long, I’m guessing you workout longer than that each day! Thanks!

Hi Isabella! Great question. I will work on this one for a future post. Stay tuned!

Robin

5. Jennifer 5 years ago

Great Post!! I think you will be so helpful and informative in these kinds of videos… Thanks!! I really enjoyed it! xo

6. Gwendolyn 5 years ago

Awesome video blog post Robin! And your hair did look great! 🙂

7. Amy 5 years ago

Robin,
    Love the video blogs!! Keep them coming!!!

8. JoAnn 5 years ago

This was great! Thanks for the thoughts–I agree that running “revs” my metabolism and I feel like I can’t eat enough and that I “earned” it. Also, running never did anything to help my core or arms, which is why I always find a Pilates workout so challenging.

9. Jessica F. 5 years ago

Love the video, especially the advice that a strong mind-body connection can be a tool for weight-loss, and love that we apparently have the same taste in water bottles! Looking forward to the next q & a video! 🙂

10. Jenn 5 years ago

You are absolutely darling! I love the video series and even though I don’t have any questions right now, I’d love to see more videos in the future. You are the cutest!

Keep it up!

11. Kaitlyn 5 years ago

Robin- this is the cutest, best vlog I have ever seen. Keep up the great work! -Kaitlyn Trabucco

12. Kara 5 years ago

I do the same thing with running & eating too much & feeling super hungry. I used to run long distance and since kids have stopped. I feel like 3 miles is the most I like and I still get stress relief & thoughts alone while not being super hungry afterwards. Yay for Pilates!

13. Amy 3 years ago

Hi Robin! I realize you posted this video three years ago, but I’m curious if you have had a chance to answer Isabella’s question from above. I’m looking at both your Tighten and Tone, and Sisterhood programs, and am wondering which you recommend for weight loss, strength, and motivation. Thanks so much! Btw, I’m LOVING your 21-day videos. Thank you!

• Sarah 3 years ago

Thank you for looking at Tighten & Tone and the Sisterhood! We love the Sisterhood for so many reasons, but in regards to your question, the workout library, recipe bundle, and access to community support of the Sisterhood could be so beneficial! 🙂 Hope to see you there!

14. Carla Davis 2 years ago

I just watched this video and loved it. I too seem to eat a lot more when I do a lot of cardio and I thought it was just me! I also get into that mindset “you worked hard so you can splurge (with food)” I just completed the 10 day challenge and bought myself a cute workout outfit! Learning how to splurge in a different way 🙂