#mindbodymat: Day 8, Pilates Arm Workout

MBM Upper Body Cover Image

We’re halfway through the week which usually means energy is starting to drop and motivation is starting to wane.

You may remember my post a few weeks ago about how lack of sleep leads to weight gain.

I truly believe sleep is one of the most important components of a healthy, balanced life. Sleep (or lack of sleep) affects EVERYTHING; from the ability to make smart food choices, to the energy to get through your daily workout.

sleep-quote

Believe me, I know how tempting it is to stay up late to get a little bit more work done or have precious time alone (right moms?) but it’s just as important to guard your 7-8 hours of sleep as it is to eat a nutritious diet.

According to the CDC, insufficient sleep is a public health epidemic.

Sleep is increasingly recognized as important to public health, with sleep insufficiency linked to motor vehicle crashes, industrial disasters, and medical and other occupational errors.1 Unintentionally falling asleep, nodding off while driving, and having difficulty performing daily tasks because of sleepiness all may contribute to these hazardous outcomes. Persons experiencing sleep insufficiency are also more likely to suffer from chronic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, depression, and obesity, as well as from cancer, increased mortality, and reduced quality of life and productivity.

Self-Care Challenge…

So today’s Self-Care Challenge is to get more sleep. I’m not asking you to make a radical change, just aim for 30 more minutes and see how it goes.

MBM 8

Let’s Workout…

Today’s Pilates arm workout is a fun one! I’ll start you off with a delicious stretch, lead you through some stability work, take you through a push-up series that might make you sweat and leave you with a nice stretch for the neck and shoulders.

Enjoy!

(note: if you are unable to see the video about, please open a new tab and copy/paste the link into your browser.)

TODAY’S CHECK-IN: Show me that you’re getting your sleep! I want proof! Share a photo or tweet, tag me/my page and use the hashtag #mindbodymat.

Have a great day and sleep well tonight!

Signature-transPS –  You may also enjoy my Pilates for Anxiety & Stress Relief video to help you wind down and calm your mind before heading to bed.

Looking for online Pilates workouts and a supportive community? We've re-opened The Sisterhood to help support you during this challenging season.

1. debbie 6 years ago

Robin, I always watch the video for the day, in the morning before I go to work so I will know what to expect when I come home at night. I just want to thank you for all of your positive encouragement and enthusiasm that you give us. Your cheerful personality and heart felt kindness towards those of us doing your challenge is so refreshing. Thank you for taking the time to help us get more in tune with our bodies and being gentle with ourselves in the process.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday, and don’t worry, this girl is not losing steam or motivation. Each morning I rush to my computer to see what you have for me for the day 🙂
    XXOO

Debbie this is such a sweet comment, thank you! I appreciate you. 🙂

2. Katy 6 years ago

Hi Robin,
    Smiles and positivity from the UK! I’m not losing steam, in fact I wait impatiently for you to post as it’s lunchtime here and I have been up for hours, waiting for my new challenge!! 🙂 I have even started doing your 28 Days videos just to get my fix before your new one comes out!
    Just set my alarm 😉
    Thank you!!

3. Adie 6 years ago

Wow this series shows me that I have a lot of room for improvement when it comes to arm strength! But I made it all the way through the pushups and holds with out stopping this time, so I am slowly progressing. Thank you, Robin, for making sure we focus on ALL of our muscle groups. I am loving MindBodyMat and think I am hooked on Pilates!

You’re doing great Adie! And I’m glad you’re enjoying the variety. It’s important to work all muscle groups because we often get stuck doing the things we prefer to do rather than the things we really need to work on. Keep up the great work! xo

4. Mary 6 years ago

Another great work out! Those push ups were really challenging!

5. April 6 years ago

Wow those arm exercises are a lot harder than they look!

6. Monica 6 years ago

Hi! I’m still out here working along with you every day! Today’s workout was great and I also realized that even though I carry around an 18 month old, I have a long way to go with upper body strength and push-ups. And robin- you are NOT old!! Thanks for this program and I did like your sparkle shirt from yesterday’s workout.

So important to keep the upper body balanced and strong to carry that sweet baby of yours! Keep up the great work. 🙂

7. Asia 6 years ago

Hi, so true what you write about sleep today. That’s actually my goal from Day 1 challenge – to go to bed before 10 p.m. But today I will do that even earlier… I like to think that getting more sleep means more chances to have some lovely dreams, even if we’re bound to forget them all in the morning 🙂

8. Yuko 6 years ago

Hi, Robin. This week has been quite challenging in terms of juggling many tasks. I know it’s not the best way to do all three work out for this week today but I have done so. This was the best 30 minutes I spent for myself! I felt some ‘good pains’ as I worked on these videos. Love them. I am working out even little by little because I have gained weight significantly by not spending time for my body and with less sleep. Yes, sleep affects body and emotion. I totally agree. Thanks for great work out every day. I keep up with you. Sorry I accidentally posted my comments in day 6 (slightly different)without realizing it was for a wrong day.

Yuko I’m so glad you are taking the time for yourself. Keep up the great work my friend. 🙂

9. Kat 6 years ago

My arms feel great! I’m really enjoying this challenge. Hugs, Kat

10. Gina 6 years ago

I felt a little sick yesterday so I had to do this workout today instead but I feel great! I’m gonna follow it up with the booty workout 🙂

Also Robin, I know we don’t have at ton of time for stretching because these videos are nice and short, do you have a website or videos you recommend for some after pilates stretching? I’m normally not too sore it’s just I like the cool down period sometimes.

Thanks again for being awesome!

Hi Gina! Check today’s post – I mention some stretching videos that you can add on. 🙂

11. Nicola 6 years ago

I’ve fallen a bit behind (why did no one tell me how tiring full-time jobs are? :P), so I’m just getting to this workout today.

Anyway, this is kind of embarrassing, but I can’t even do triceps push ups from my knees (I kind of let exercise slide when I was finishing my dissertation :/). Do you have any suggestions for alternatives? The only one I can think of is doing them at the kitchen counter, but there’s no room to lie down in the kitchen so I’d have to stop and start my workout (and I’m lazy, so there’s a real chance I’d just give up).

Any ideas? Thanks.

Glad you’re catching up! You are on the right track with the tricep push-ups. I’d lean against a counter or the back of your couch. I think you can manage to pop back and forth from room to room. In fact I challenge you to do so. 🙂 Keep up the great work Nicola! xo

12. Amanda 6 years ago

Playing catch up from a super busy week and weekend! My legs and arms are shaking! Thanks! On to the booty!