I love Mexican food for so many reasons. One of which being how easy it is to prepare a healthy, balanced meal with loads of flavor.
The other night I was sorting through the kitchen trying to come up with a quick, healthy, meal on the cheap and this is what came to be…
MEXICAN QUINOA & BLACK BEAN BOWLS
– 1 cup quinoa
– 1 lb ground turkey
– 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed (to reduce sodium)
– 1 bunch cilantro
– 2 Tbs. chili powder
– 1/4 tsp garlic powder
– cayenne pepper to taste
– 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
– 1/4 tsp dried oregano
– 1/2 tsp paprika
– 2 tsp cumin
– s & p to taste
– toppings of choice: lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado, greek yogurt, etc.(use what you have on hand!)
– Cook quinoa according to package directions.
– Warm black beans in a sauce pan over medium heat.
– Cook ground turkey over medium-high heat until cooked through.
– Wash cilantro and finely chop.
– Add 1/4 cup water, spices, 1 handful of chopped cilantro and black beans to the turkey and stir well.
– Layer your bowl with 1/4 cup quinoa, 1/4 cup turkey/bean mixture, and toppings of choice
(Tip: use plain, nonfat greek yogurt as a healthy substitute for sour cream)
This recipe is simple, cheap and healthy. A total win in my book.
It’s packed with protein and the beans provide a healthy does of fiber and antioxidants. The healthy fat from the avocado provides anti-inflamatory properties which can help to reduce your risk of disease, regulate your blood sugar and leave your skin glowing.