Make Your Own Cold Brew Iced Coffee

It’s no secret that I have a Starbucks obsession.

I treat myself more often than most.

The funny thing is, I drink decaf these days. So it’s not even a physical caffeine addiction I’m dealing with, it’s purely emotional. 🙂

But some days I choose an at-home brew to satisfy my coffee cravings.

Cold brew iced coffee is such a treat on a hot summer day. It’s brewed with cold water over time (as opposed to with hot water in coffee pot and then poured over ice), which reduces acidity and bitterness. Cold-brew iced coffee has a smooth, delicious flavor which means you need less sugar and cream to counteract the bitterness. Win, win. win.

I mix mine with flax milk (because of my current breastfeeding diet) but prefer unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Coconut milk would work well too.

I LOVE my Toddy but you can also use a pitcher and cheese cloth if you don’t have a Toddy at home.

pelvic-floor-dysfunction-image

Cold Brew Iced Coffee

Recipe

1 cup course-ground coffee beans (I use decaf)

4 cups cold water

Directions

In a large pitcher combine the coffee grounds and water. Let the mixture sit overnight to “brew.”

The next day, simply filter the grounds either using a coffee filter (slower but more precise) or cheese cloth (quicker but may take a few strains to remove all the grounds).

The best thing about cold-brew coffee is that since it doesn’t use heat, it produces a nice, smooth flavor.

Serving Suggestion

Fill a cup with ice, 1/2 – 1 cup of cold-brew coffee and 1/2 – 1 cup of vanilla rice/almond/coconut milk.

Enjoy!

Signature

By signing up, you'll be added to The Balanced Life's email list and will receive regular emails that include inspiration, tips, and special offers to help you build a healthy + balanced lifestyle. We take care of your data in accordance with our privacy policy and you are free to unsubscribe at any time.

1. Luz 4 years ago

Perfect for summer Thank you.

2. Trudie Hawes 4 years ago

I love cold brew in the summer. I found a “Cold Brew To Go” maker at Fred Meyer (Kroger stores). It’s $24.99 but I got it 25% off and it’s perfect! It makes about 16 oz of cold brew and still has room for ice and creamer. It’s a glass bottle with a removable filter and a neoprene sleeve with a handle strap. I like to add cinnamon to it while it’s brewing. After I drink it I just get it ready for the next day and stick it in the fridge!

3. Sarah 4 years ago

I bought a French press with the intention of making cold brew coffee….I just haven’t tried it yet. What brand of decaf do you like? I am always looking for brands that aren’t chemically decaffeinated.

4. Heather Corin 4 years ago

I love to make cold brew coffee, too! I use organic coffee and add organic whole milk.

5. K Ann Guinn 4 years ago

We love to brew our own iced coffee! We are so spoiled we even like it better than Dunkin’ Donuts! (Shhhhh! Don’t tell all our other New England friends!) I also was psyched that it’s lower acid, which makes a difference in my middle-aged digestion, etc. It’s definitely the best!

Another quick note: I tried cheesecloth and it was too messy. I may have tried a coffee filter, but usually just drape paper towel over a strainer. Try it!

6. Lindsay Benhammou 4 years ago

I’ve also used a french press to strain the coffee. Thanks for the recipe!

7. Sally Luebben 3 years ago

This is also great to use as a concentrate for hot coffee. 1/2 cup concentrate + 1/2 cup boiling water. 🙂