Another Balanced Life Baby…

Hi Beauties,

I’m thrilled to finally share that there is another Balanced Life baby on the way!

I’m pregnant with my second child and feel beyond blessed to find myself in this place again.

IMG_3810

I want to start out by being sensitive – I know that fertility and pregnancy is a sensitive issue for many. I have a handful of close friends who are dealing with infertility and waiting on adoptions and if that is you, I am sending so much love your way. I do not take this lightly.

You may have noticed the lack of Pilates/workout photos, healthy foods and recipes on my social media accounts as of late. That’s because for the first 13 weeks I couldn’t stomach anything other than bread, cheese, chips and egg sandwiches.

And let me tell you, I found the perfect recipe for rapid weight gain….

The holidays + stopping breastfeeding + laziness + bread + cheese + chips + more bread and chips.

Worked like a charm. 🙂

In all seriousness, the first trimester was a challenging time as I was trying to launch The Sisterhood and keep myself off the couch. So I am immensely grateful to be in this new chapter.

I wanted to share it with you all right away rather than waiting the traditional “13 weeks” because I am all for sharing our stories in pregnancy even if that includes miscarriage. I hate how so many miscarriages have to be dealt with alone so I was going to share the news early as a form of solidarity for all of us who are on this bumpy journey to parenthood.

But unfortunately, as I thought it through, I realized how important it is for close friends and family to hear the news from us first rather than through my blog so I was unable to share it publicly until now.

But I just want you to know, that we are all in this together. I am joyful and grateful and don’t take this gift lightly.

I also want you to know that I am not striving to be the perfect, fit, hot, pregnant woman.

As someone who “lives life” online in the fitness industry, there is a sense of pressure to stay looking a certain way, even during pregnancy. I see bloggers and other fitness professionals with legs that are the same pre-pregnancy size and think, “how is that possible??”

4576f8923d27de1a250c1240a4101204

I’m stating this for myself more than anyone:

I am going to be active, I am going to be healthy, but I am not going to hold myself to an imaginary standard of what a pregnant Pilates instructor SHOULD look like.

I am going to gain weight. I am going to get puffy. I am going to fill out in all the ways I did the first time around and I am going to embrace it.

You will see it in my photos, you will see it in my videos, and that’s okay, because I am a normal woman, just like you.

I refuse to allow the pressure to look “perfect” come before my desire to eat delicious meals with my friends, relax on the couch with my husband, enjoy fro-yo in the summer with my family, the list could go on…

I am human, I am not perfect and I don’t want to get caught in the comparison trap.

So there you have it.

Here’s to gaining weight in all the right ways, embracing the miracle of pregnancy and honoring my body along the way. I thank you for being a community that supports me with grace and acceptance.

I’ll be sharing some prenatal workouts and resources along the way, but don’t worry this will not become a pregnancy-only blog. I’ll keep it relevant for all stages of life 90% of the time.

Thank you for being such a wonderful community of women – I’m grateful for your support in this new season!

Signature-transPS – I created Balanced Beginnings, a prenatal Pilates program during my first pregnancy. If you’re looking for a way to stay active at home, click here to check it out. 🙂

1. Whitney 5 years ago

Congrats! I love this post so much! It can be difficult to “let go” of striving for a certain physical appearance and embrace the changes that come about when your body is home to a tiny human! A positive attitude and sense of humor, along with allowing yourself the grace you always speak of, is so important!

2. Michelle L. 5 years ago

Hooray!!! What wonderful, wonderful news that you have a new little one on the way! Rejoicing with you for this incredible gift.

3. Brenda 5 years ago

Congrats Robin! That’s wonderful news 🙂

4. Katherine 5 years ago

Wow! Congratulations on the new baby, the new house, and your dream kitchen!!! I am so happy for you! You are such a beautiful woman inside and out! 🙂 And I love your attitude in approaching health and wellness. I wish you all the best in your pregnancy! 🙂

5. Lori 5 years ago

Yay! Congratulations! So fun to add another member to your family. Lots of prayers for healthy pregnancy your way 🙂

6. Natalie Cain 5 years ago

Congratulations Robin! How exciting!! I think its wonderful to read your words of declaration on body image during pregnancy. I am almost 8 months pregnant and have flip flopped between being proud of myself and body to becoming depressed and obsessed with the scale and images. It sure is hard to see your body change, especially for the first time, and especially when people feel the need to comment on it daily. BUT luckily, I had already had the privilege of working with you and following your blog for a year prior to pregnancy and it has helped me so much stay focused on what really matters and balancing my emotions/eating/etc.
    I totally get the first tri stuff too! All i ate was pasta and bread and crackers. And had a very unfortunate incident including a whole box of hot tamales, being at target and seeing a lot more red than i planned on! 🙂
    Congratulations again! I am so excited to see your journey!

7. Jennie Edstrom 5 years ago

Good morning Robin!
    So very happy for you and your growing family. Your truth and realness shine through in every aspect of your blog and in your words. Thank you for taking a stand for grace and being real in the face of such pressure. My psyche struggled during both of my pregnancies with body image. It’s something we as women shouldn’t have to face especially when growing an entire human being inside of our wombs!! You are leading an amazing charge! Also a huge kudos for all of the work you launched during the first trimester; no small feat!! Praying for a healthy pregnancy for you and baby!

8. Miray 5 years ago

Yay!! Congratulations Robin!! I’m so excited for you! Many blessings sent your way!!

9. Ginny 5 years ago

Congratulations Robin!! I’m very excited for you!! I pray many blessings for you and am so happy to see such an influential leader in the fitness industry speaking out for grace and healthy pregnancy over a certain image!!

10. Megan 5 years ago

SO proud of you Robs. Love that you are open to sharing your sweet heart and your journey with others. SO excited to be a “frauntie” again! Cannot wait to meet this little babe! xoxo

11. Annie 5 years ago

Congratulations!!

12. Lauren C 5 years ago

Congratulations Robin! I hope you will continue to feel healthy and happy!

13. Chase 5 years ago

You are so great! I love your approach and your consideration to those that have not been so lucky. Congratulations!

14. Urban Wife 5 years ago

Congrats, Robin!! I’m so, so incredibly happy for you and your family! I can’t wait to follow along. You couldn’t have said it any better and more honestly than you have about not being worried about perfection or standards. Praying for the baby to continue growing healthy and strong and for you to feel better!
    xoxo

15. Carly Fife 5 years ago

Congratulations! I love your philosophy on this!

16. Natalie Borton 5 years ago

Yes! You nailed it, girl—thankful for your perspective and voice. Excited to follow along in your pregnancy journey!

17. Julie 5 years ago

Congratulations!!! Great news. May you be blessed with a healthy pregnancy.

18. Emily 5 years ago

Congrats, Robin! Wishing you all the best in this pregnancy. And thank you for this post, I think it is impressive and encouraging how you continue to send this message to women, thank you!

Thank you Emily! I appreciate your support so much.

19. Christan Perona 5 years ago

Such a balanced perspective. 🙂 Thanks for your example. Reading how you’re CHOOSING to not get caught up in the comparison trap brought tears to my eyes. We’re all with you on this. Congrats.

20. Shayna 5 years ago

So very happy for you, Robin! 🙂

Thank you Shayna! Hope you’re doing well! xo

21. Janine 5 years ago

Congrats! This is so wonderful! <3

22. mandi 5 years ago

this is great and brought tears to my eyes. I am 28 weeks pregnant and pre pregnancy I was very fit, exercised a ton and followed a very healthy lifestyle. I spent week 6-16 very sick and throwing up. now I struggle with the discomfort of stretching and watching my body expand. I have struggled to give myself grace. I continue to exercise regularly and eat healthy but it’s been a whole different ball game. thanks for your inspiring words!

Congratulations Mandi! I know, it is hard. But from my experience the first time around, it really is temporary and it does get better. I gained around 45 lbs with my first and afterwards felt better than I’ve ever felt! So don’t worry, all hope is not lost. It’s a journey of ups and downs. And we are both on our way up right now. 🙂 We can do this! xoxo

23. Jaimee 5 years ago

Robin you look so beautiful and your glowing!!! Congratulations!!! I am so happy and excited for you and your family 😉

24. Christina Gathright 5 years ago

Congrats Robin!!!! So exciting and wonderful! You look amazing and so very happy 🙂 Sending lots of love and hugs your way!

25. Monica 5 years ago

Wow! A new house and a new baby on the way! So many exciting things are happening! Congratulations to you and your husband. Soooo exciting. If that pic was taken in your new kitchen just have to say Love the new kitchen! So proud of you for embracing the pregnancy and your new body and not tryng to be a prego model. It’s about you staying happy and healthy and giving that baby nutrition and loooooove.

Yes, it’s been a lot! But all good things. 🙂 Thanks for your support Monica. xo

26. Colleen 5 years ago

Congrats Robin!! I’m so excited for you!! 🙂

27. Christine 5 years ago

Love love love this! Thank you for keeping such an awesome, balanced perspective even while pregnant. “Comparison is the thief of joy” is what I’ve been repeating to myself since having my second baby. And there’s so much more joy without that burden of comparison! Thank you so much for all you do – I hope your pregnancy is beautiful, happy, and healthy.

Thanks Christine! Your support & encouragement inspires me to keep it real. Thank you for being in on this with me. xoxo

28. Valerie Rozzi 5 years ago

<3 I am so happy for you and for your family! It is fun to be able to share a little bit of your journey through the blog. New life is a precious thing, indeed. Tickled pink (or blue)!

29. Brooke King 5 years ago

You are such a gift <3. Congratulations and so much love and blessings to your little growing family! Xo

30. Jeanne Ibach 5 years ago

Congratulations Robin! Children are a gift from the Lord! Thanks for being real about pregnancy! I wish I would have you around when I walked through that season:) Those who are in that season of life will be blessed by your authenticity in the journey! Blessings to you!

Thank you Jeanne! Thank you for supporting me so that I am able to do what I love AND be real. I know others in this industry are not so fortunate. I appreciate you!

31. Tamie 5 years ago

your not going to believe this but I had a feeling…so unlike you to not give us new workouts and post pics of you on social media, etc. I am SO happy for you. As a honest side note, my 2nd pregnancy gained within 2 lbs of exact weight but boy did I fill out in other places that I didn’t even know existed & very quick! Don’t be shocked by the “prego” round face and larger upper body quickly but as you said EMBRACE the true miracle of pregnancy. Your boby is working overtime & a half (chasing the little one around)

How funny Tamie! I have heard that a lot actually. 🙂 It’s kind of hard to hide on social media when all I am doing is laying on the couch craving comfort food! haha. I definitely filled out faster this time so thanks for the support! xoxo

32. Rachel Showers 5 years ago

This is wonderful news! Congratulations to you and your family. Looking forward to hearing the latest in pregnancy health, even though I am no longer able to have children, it will be helpful for friends that are expecting. God bless!

Thank you Rachel! I appreciate your support. 🙂

33. Marcie 5 years ago

Congratulations to you and your family!! This post was beautifully written and you are truly such an inspiration to us all. Blessings to you and baby!!

34. Nita Lovelady 5 years ago

Congrats on the great news! Thanks you for being such a breath of fresh air! How refreshing it is to hear honesty from someone like you (who has a very public online life). We will be praying the best for you as you go through this pregnancy with all you have to juggle. We will celebrate all that comes with it along with you and your family!!

Thank you so much Nita! Your support means so much to me. xo

35. Jessica 4 years ago

Congratulations! This is such a wonderful post and so real. I have a two year old daughter and we are working on number two, and seeing beautiful and glowing pregnant women makes me very happy 🙂 I am also a pilates instructor and physical therapist, and I really appreciate what you write and your message. You have a beautiful community and a wonderful site! I’m excited to follow your journey. xoxo Jessica

Thank you for the support Jessica! It’s great to know when other professionals can relate. 🙂 xoxo

36. Laura 4 years ago

Congratulations, Robin! You are a true inspiration and fabulous role model for your daughter.

37. Sandy 4 years ago

I have two daughters-in-law who are expecting. Do you have any free Pregnancy Pilates workouts on-line? I would love to send them your way. What is your due date?

38. Andrea Flanagan 4 years ago

Congratulations Robin. How exciting!