It's one of those chapters that has stuck in my mind for years and I come back to it again and again when I'm feeling like I just can't keep up.
Now more than ever there is pressure to do more.
To do everything.
With blogs, Pinterest and social media we have a glimpse into so many unique lives.
I see friends do amazing things all week long - taking trips, making art, going on adventures, the list goes on...
While I love the opportunity to see more of people's lives, it can be a bit disillusioning at times.
Without taking the time to filter what we see it can easily feel like we should be doing all the things everyone else is doing.
It's not all bad. It's a gift to be inspired. But every so often I have to come back to who I am and remind myself of the things I do and the things I don't do.
In the same way, I never want you to believe that I do it all.
If you ever think "how in the world does she find time to exercise, write and make fresh smoothies every day?" remember, that's what I do! There are a hundred other things I don't do.
So here's a short list of things I don't do...
- I don't garden. I don't even try. I love the idea of it and I like to think that I will some day but I have no idea how I'd find the time to keep a garden alive.
- I don't do crafts. Every once and awhile I'll get on a DIY kick and make something for the home, but most of the time I'd rather buy it at Target.
- I don't sew. I don't even know how to sew a button.
- I don't shop. It's kind of sad actually. I should work on this one. I rarely, rarely buy new clothes. But I love reading fashion blogs and pinning outfits like it's my job. :)
- I don't go to the gym. I don't own a gym membership and don't really desire one.
- I don't bake. Again, I love the idea of it and I think about doing it. But I don't even own a bag of sugar. Or baking soda. Or whatever else you need to bake from scratch.
- I don't do home repairs or clean my car as often as I should.
- I don't use coupons. I try and I fail. I always forget.
It's incredibly liberating to write that list. I encourage you to make one of your own.
One of the things I love about getting older is weeding out the things that don't bring life and focusing on the things that do.
I run, I teach and do Pilates, I go for walks, I write, I lead an amazing community of online women, I take care of my baby, I breastfeed, I cook, I eat well, I use natural products, I spend time with friends & family, I go to church and I sleep 8 hours a night. That's what I do.
What about you, what are a few things you don't do?
PPS - I highly recommend Bittersweet if you haven't read it yet.